Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What exactly is Inuit art?

Howdy!

Interesting article from The Edmonton Sun about a couple who 'has a deep love for the Far North after spending 35 years on Baffin Island' and is now attempting to become 'wholesale Inuit art dealers for Western Canada.' No problem there, I particularly like it when people have very specific goals. Where I find a problem is that the art that they are wholesaling is art that they make. Now, if they were Inuit, I don't think that Jerold LeBlanc would have described them as 'loving Baffin Island.' I think he would have written something more like 'they are Inuit who moved to Edmonton.' I also have a problem with a four- to six-inch stone figure being called an Inukshuk, and I have a major problem with someone using 'construction-grade adhesive' to create anything that comes with 18 yards of the word Inukshuk.

If they love Baffin Island so gosh darn much, I think they should move back there and not try to make money off of gullible people who don't know enough to ask questions about rock figures for their lawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment