Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Obviously Artists can't do math...

Howdy!

I obviously don't want to get down to the real nitty gritty, so I was looking through Les faits saillants du comité exécutif du 21 juin 2006 (or for the square heads in the house - Highlights from the Montreal executive commitee meeting of June 21) when I came accross this liitle tid bit.
Un contribution de 41 200 $ pour la réalisation de l'édition 2006 du Prix Pierre-Ayot, du Prix Louis-Comtois et du Prix François-Houdé, visant à mettre en valeur le potentiel d'avenir de créateurs montréalais du secteur des arts visuels et des métiers d'art.
(or again for the blokes in the house - The city is giving someone, it isn't said who, $41,200 in order to organize the Pierre Ayot, Louis Comtois and the Francois Houde prizes).

I've already written about how I think the prizes are useless at what they say they are doing. However, back in November I only thought that they were spending $9,000 per year to do the prizes.

To refresh your memory, the Pierre Ayot gives $3,000 to the winner, and then also pays $2,500 towards exhibition expenses for the winner.
Louis Comtois gives the winner $5,000, and then also pays $2,500 towards exhibition expenses for the winner.
Francois Houde (I'd never heard about it either) gives $3,000 to the winner, and then also pays $2,500 towards exhibition expenses for the winner.

$5,500 plus, $7,500 plus $5,500 equals $18,500. Somehow it seems to me, if my math is correct that $41,200 is just a little bit more than that. I wonder what happens to the other $22,700? That's a nice chunk of change that the administrators of the prize get.

No comments:

Post a Comment