Thursday, July 20, 2006

This is what is wrong with arts reporting in Canada

Howdy!

I'm certain that by now you've heard that the Neue Gallery in New York wanted to charge $50 to see the most expensive painting ever. You might not have heard that they changed their mind, and are only charging $15 (their normal price). The reason I say might, is that the National Post decided to only print a story about the $50 ticket and not the change of mind. Same with Le Devoir, and La Presse. The Gazette didn't even think the $50 price was newsworthy.

Now I realize that there are a bunch of other things that get taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to publish an article, but I do think that in this case a follow up would have been appropriate. If your readership is interested in Klimt paintings on Tuesday, I would guess that your readership is interested in Klimt paintings on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment