Sunday, October 15, 2006

Stuff Seen - Teenage Kicks/Ca plane pour moi

Howdy!



C-

Saw this one back in September, and I could've missed it and my life would not be any different than it is right now. When we walked in, someone had forgotten to turn on the video Jo-Anne Balcaen's 'Screaming Girls,' and we walked in at about 3 o'clock in the afternoon. After doing the tour of the walls, looked up and there it was playing, surprise, surprise. Basically sums the exhibition experience for me (or more plainly, if the gallery doesn't care enough to show the art, then why should I?)

The theme was just a tad too forced. Basically Centre Clark is celebrating 18 years of existence, so Mathieu Beausejour suggested that they exhibit some art that was loosely affiliated or based on being 18. Too much GB Jones (who seemed to have a different agenda) not enough Alain Paiement, or Ms. Balcaen. It also could have been a show about sexuality, or popular music. Personally I think they should have dropped the references to being eighteen years old and gone much heavier toward the popular music side. But then again, I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment